Re: apparent change in hostnames on LAN without admin intervention

On 12/14/19 8:02 AM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
On Friday, December 13, 2019 10:04:18 PM Jape Person wrote:
Could this change be due to recent upgrades in software? (I upgrade
every day.) I've reviewed the recent upgrades listed in
/var/log/apt/history.log. I would have thought any deliberate change
of this behavior would have been flagged by listchanges, but I can't
find it.

 From the peanut gallery (I don't know why I sit here): Of course!  That is the
charm of sid / testing -- continuous changes, some of which might break your
system.

I'm just a home user / hobbyist, but this change occurring without any
deliberate administrative action on my part makes the hairs stand up
on my neck -- just a little bit.

Well, I don't know why you're using testing (I don't), but I'm surprised your
hairs on permanently up ;-)

I've been using Sid/testing since long before I established this little network -- at least 12 or 13 years. I've always enjoyed seeing the changes to Debian as they come down the road. The worst problem I remember having was when the framebuffer was introduced. The nVidia graphics card I was running in my system at the time had to be appeased. Took maybe two hours to fix.

But this made the old hackles raise because of the possibility that it could have security implications. It turns out that this problem has probably been caused by my own misunderstanding of proper use of naming conventions.

Thanks,
JP