Re: apparent change in hostnames on LAN without admin intervention

On 12/14/19 4:40 AM, Curt wrote:
On 2019-12-14, Jape Person <japers@comcast.net> wrote:

I could be quite wrong, but I thought that "local" was actually suggested as a domain name at one
time by the installer. (And I could be remembering a different distro, though I've been using Debian
for a long time -- at least 10 years, I think.) I suppose I just continued to use it over the years
out of habit.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6762

3.  Multicast DNS Names

  To remedy this problem [of home computer users generally lacking easy access
  to name creation in the global DNS namespace*], this document allows any
  computer user to elect to give their computers link-local Multicast DNS host
  names of the form: "single-dns-label.local".

  This document specifies that the DNS top-level domain ".local." is a
  special domain with special semantics, namely that any fully
  qualified name ending in ".local." is link-local, and names within
  this domain are meaningful only on the link where they originate.

Has RFC 6762 been superseded? Or have I gotten this wrong?

Hi, Curt.

I'm doing some homework. I can see the error of my ways and am planning to change the network accordingly.

Still stumped about why .local disappeared from the names, but am obviously not married to it.

Thanks,
JP