Re: looking for a replacement for debian since systemd

Hi Alessandro,

Quoting Alessandro Vesely (2019-12-14 13:23:14)
> On Sat 14/Dec/2019 03:18:39 +0100 Kenneth Parker wrote:
> >
> > I use Devuan, especially on older hardware.   Works well.
>

> Good to know.  For the time being, I see SysV is working.  I'm on
> old-stable Debian.  As, in a few months, it will be time to migrate,
> I'll have to decide on Devuan (current) vs. Buster.  Any
> recommendation on that?  Will the voted resolution shred any light on
> migration strategies?

Since this is a Debian list, I recommend to discuss Debian here, and
consult Devuan mailinglist for details of what they can offer.

The vote currently in Debian will affect _future_ releases of Debian,
not the current stable release, Buster.

For Debian Buster (regardless of the outcome of the vote) SysV is a
supported init system: Please do report any flaws you may encounter!

Beware in discussions here and elsewhere to distinguish between these:

 a) running a system with SysV as init system
 b) running a system without systemd installed
 c) running a system without libsystemd0 installed

If you need a), then quite likely Debian Buster is fine for you.

If you need b) and don't need a complex¹ X11/Wayland desktop
environment, then Debian Buster is likely fine as well.

If you need c) and/or a complex¹ X11/Wayland desktop environment, then
Debian Buster is most likely no fun for you - might be possible, but you
will feel alone and bugreports will be harder to debug due to your
complex setup (in particular your suppressing package recommendations).

¹ In this context, "complex" desktop environments include GNOME, KDE,
Cinnamon, MATE and more - as a rule of thumb anything which directly or
indirectly recommends dbus-user-session.

Kind regards,

 - Jonas