Re: apparent change in hostnames on LAN without admin intervention

On 2019-12-14, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 13 Dec 2019 at 19:33:51 (-0500), Jape Person wrote:
>> Hi folks. Did I miss something?
>
> Perhaps a couple of references:
> https://features.icann.org/addressing-new-gtld-program-applications-corp-home-and-mail
> which points out that any of .home, .mail and .corp are ideal for the
> domain name of a home LAN, and RFC 6762 on Multicast DNS which
> explains why .local is not a good choice.

I'm trying to fathom why .home would remain ideal for home LAN users in
light of RFC 8375, which replaces the previously advised '.home' with
'home.arpa' as the default domain name for homenets, the former being
known to often leak out to the root name servers.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8375

Or does RFC 8378 only apply to toasters and the like (what will they
think of next)?

--
"J'ai pour me guérir du jugement des autres toute la distance qui me sépare de
moi." Antonin Artaud