Re: apparent change in hostnames on LAN without admin intervention

On 2019-12-14, Jape Person <japers@comcast.net> wrote:

> I could be quite wrong, but I thought that "local" was actually suggested as a domain name at one
> time by the installer. (And I could be remembering a different distro, though I've been using Debian
> for a long time -- at least 10 years, I think.) I suppose I just continued to use it over the years
> out of habit.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6762

3.  Multicast DNS Names

 To remedy this problem [of home computer users generally lacking easy access
 to name creation in the global DNS namespace*], this document allows any
 computer user to elect to give their computers link-local Multicast DNS host
 names of the form: "single-dns-label.local".

 This document specifies that the DNS top-level domain ".local." is a
 special domain with special semantics, namely that any fully
 qualified name ending in ".local." is link-local, and names within
 this domain are meaningful only on the link where they originate.

Has RFC 6762 been superseded? Or have I gotten this wrong?

--
"J'ai pour me guérir du jugement des autres toute la distance qui me sépare de
moi." Antonin Artaud