RCA Cable to USB Video input device

I want to copy some videos from VCR and DVD to my computer for editing (simple stuff, like removing commercials).  I found this device on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Converter-Capture-Support-Android/dp/B06X42H9VZ/ref=sr_1_3?m=A3ENZ260X3A00C&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1576302348&s=merchant-items&sr=1-3&th=1

It says in the title that it works on Linux, and at least one of the reviews says it works on Debian.

There seem to be a lot of sellers with what looks like this exact same device.

Does anyone know anything about this device, or other, similar devices.  Is it likely to require specialized drivers, or would generic drivers be able to access it?

Any suggestions on editing software would also be appreciated.  I have done simple audio editing before, but not video.  Would the editing software read the data directly from the USB port, or would I need to access the port with other software/commands.  I don't mind using the command line to access the port and save the file, if necessary.

Marc