Re: apparent change in hostnames on LAN without admin intervention

On Fri 13 Dec 2019 at 19:33:51 (-0500), Jape Person wrote:
> Hi folks. Did I miss something?

Perhaps a couple of references:
https://features.icann.org/addressing-new-gtld-program-applications-corp-home-and-mail
which points out that any of .home, .mail and .corp are ideal for the
domain name of a home LAN, and RFC 6762 on Multicast DNS which
explains why .local is not a good choice.

> I've had 3 Sid/testing systems running on the same LAN behind the same
> router for just shy of 3 years. Their static IP addresses have always
> been issued by the DHCP server on the router. Everything has been
> copacetic among the systems, with local and outside name resolution
> working with no issue.
>
> A little over a week ago the systems stopped being able to access each
> other by name. No changes were made in the settings or firmware of the
> router or of the local network settings on the systems.
>
> I discovered that all of the hostnames had changed from xxxxxx.local
> to xxxxxx. I've tried to determine the cause of this alteration in the
> hostnames on the LAN.
>
> Everything is working fine now that I've stopped trying to call the
> systems by the old xxxxxx.local names.
>
> Could this change be due to recent upgrades in software? (I upgrade
> every day.) I've reviewed the recent upgrades listed in
> /var/log/apt/history.log. I would have thought any deliberate change
> of this behavior would have been flagged by listchanges, but I can't
> find it.
>
> I'm just a home user / hobbyist, but this change occurring without any
> deliberate administrative action on my part makes the hairs stand up
> on my neck -- just a little bit.
>
> Advice or consolation would be welcomed.

I tried .local quite a long while ago but it didn't work too well.
I don't know where the problem lay, and I got along with no domain
name for a longish period, but changed to .corp after I read the
first reference above. It stopped exim4 complaining too.

But is it possible you've started using avahi/bonjour when previously
you didn't? Or has the router upgraded itself and now knows not to
issue names like that?

Perhaps others have more/better ideas.

Cheers,
David.