Help! Borked suspend/hibernate after adding swap partition

Hi,

I'm running LMDE3 (based on Debian oldstable) on  Thinkpad Edge E130.
I'm not getting much support lately from the Mint forums and that's
why I'm posting here.

This laptop had been running happily with a mere 4GB RAM and no swap
until a few weeks ago, when I had to compile a big programme (Liferea)
and the compiler complained that it was running out of virtual memory.

So I made a 8GB partition and formatted it as swap. This is where all
problems started. Since then, suspend to ram has stopped working as it
was (the laptop resumes spontaneously overnight without any
interactions; the battery drains and the laptop shuts down, creating
filesystem corruption).

Hibernate doesn't work either. When I open the lid, instead of
resuming from disk, the laptop just reboots, and, from dmesg I can see
that it wasn't shut down properly.

This is giving me headaches, as you can imagine. If I manually disable
swap (sudo swapoff -a), all goes back to normal and suspend works
beautifully.

At the moment, the only workaround is to disable swap before suspending.

I have the latest kernel. Where do I start troubleshooting? Any ideas?

--
Ottavio Caruso