Re: Booting Debian freezes on “[OK] Started GNOME Display Manager”

	Received from Billy on Wed, 11 Dec 2019 16:07:45 +0300 Booting
	Debian freezes on “[OK] Started GNOME Display Manager”

	> Dear Debian Help,
> Firstly, it is a pleasure to have an opportunity to write you this
> 	Email. As a follow up of my Email from yesterday, I would
> 	like to send you additional details regarding my problem in
> 	which I cannot get Debian to boot properly.
> My Laptop Brand and Model:
> Lenovo ideapad 330-15ARR
> BIOS Version: 7VCN46WW
> EC Version: 7VEC46WW
> MTM 81D200AQTX
> Lenovo SN (the serial number)
> UUID Number (UUID number)
> CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
> System Memory: 8192 MB
> Hard Disk: ST1000LM035-1RK172
> ODD PLDS DVD-RW DA9AESH
>
> I also directly asked a question on unix.stackexchange.com
> <https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/556619/booting-debian-freezes-on-ok-started-gnome-display-manager>
> concerning
> the issue so that you can clearly look at it in case that you need
> additional information.
> Thank you in advance for your help,
> Billy

	I didn't think I kept a record of what I did when I bought a
	lappy with AMD graphics a couple or three months ago. Though
	not complete, I did keep some information.

I stayed away from CPU: AMD Ryzen 3  because net searching found a few
who suggested Debian was not ready for that. But I think the AMD
graphics on the new machine was just as problematical to get working,
and wish I had gone with CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 now.
But I am not having any problems running "Testing" Bullseye on the
machine.

Here is what I had to do, and maybe a bit more I didn't write down, it
might help?

Installed the following:

# apt install firmware-linux
# apt install firmware-linux-nonfree
# apt install libdrm-amdgpu1
# apt install xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu

llvm for mesa also installed, even though at the time a bug was
recorded against it.

Hope it helps,
Charlie

	East Gippsland Wildlife Rehabilitators Inc..
                     http://www.egwildlife.com.au/

--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible
	and without desire. The reality of your own nature should
	determine the speed. If you become restless, speed up. If you
	become winded, slow down. You climb the mountain in an
	equilibrium between restlessness and exhaustion. Then, when
	you're no longer thinking ahead, each footstep isn't just a
	means to an end but a unique event in itself. .....Robert Pirsig

	Debian GNU/Linux - Magic indeed.