Finalizing a Video DVD

I have a DVD recorder hooked up to my TV and antenna. Unfortunately, the remote for it is non-functional and the option for finalizing the DVD+R discs is only reachable through the remote.  Why VCR/DVD players and recorders were designed to not be fully functional without their remote, I do not know.  I think it's foolish, but no one asked me.

My question is this:  Is there any software in the repository that can finalize these disks so that I can use them other than on the machine that created them?  On that machine, these disks play just fine.  I just can't play them anywhere else.  I don't need to add to them.  I just want to play them back.

Marc