Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.UnitMasked: Unit -.mount is masked.

Two of my small herd of Debian 10.2 (buster) machines are now giving me
this error in the middle of running "apt upgrade":

Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.UnitMasked: Unit -.mount is masked.

Other machines are not giving me that error.

Partial output from this morning's run:

Setting up git-doc (1:2.20.1-2+deb10u1) ...
Setting up git-man (1:2.20.1-2+deb10u1) ...
Setting up git (1:2.20.1-2+deb10u1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...
Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.UnitMasked: Unit -.mount is masked.
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/locale: 5332 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/man: 0 KiB

The upgrade seemed to go well otherwise.

A bit of reading up on what "masking" means in systemd reveals that a
"masked" unit is one that has a symlink to /dev/null
in /etc/systemd/system. One of the offending boxes, hawk, has a slew
of masked services, some of them (judging by the names) relate to
mount. The other, iorich, has only one masked service, and that one has
no relation I can discern to mount.

So several questions:

Why am I getting this error?

Who or what masked a bunch or services on the one machine? And why? The
symlinks are dated 7 August 2019.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com