Re: RFC Debian and Xfce daily desktop on Dell Latitude 54XX

On 2019-12-03 22:02, deloptes wrote:
David Christensen wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  :-)

Do you use X?  If so, which display manager or desktop?  What are the
hardware specs and how does it hold up with heavy desktop usage?

Yes X and TDE former KDE3 as display manager (might be exotic to some, but
it is so stable and has such a small footprint that the community could not
give it up).
Regarding heavy desktop use - it has 4 cores and AES in the CPU - it has no
problem to work on encrypted partition and compile stuff while watching
youtube.
The GPU is Intel. (I took the cheapest - I think it was about 800,- brand
new). I don't do games or video/audio processing - though I have used some
video/audio tools.

hope this helps

That is encouraging.  :-)

PS: Latitude is much better than Inspiron - I even think they can not be
compared. But you can try TDE on Inspiron as well

I ran a Latitude for a while, and could tell it was more stout than the Inspiron. I expect Latitudes are better suited to daily transportation and mobile use.

David