Re: RFC Debian and Xfce daily desktop on Dell Latitude 54XX

Le 03 Dec 2019, David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> a écrit :

debian-user:

Is anyone running Debian and Xfce as a daily desktop on a Dell
Latitude 54XX laptop?  If so, please comment.

I’ve been using xfce for the last 3 or 4 years on a latitude E5440 (bought seconhand). - Worked seamingless right after installing Dein. I don’t remember having made any software customizations related to the hardware except for the fancontrol. - The fan went on too often and too hard to my taste. The temperature was kept around 35°C. Safe, for sure, but also a bit noisy and draining on the battery. I used i8kmon (from the repos) to tame it. It is specific for the Dell laptops. - I changed the mechanical HD for an SSD one. This increased significantly speed and battery life. - I changed the 4 cell battery for a bigger one (9cell I think -> the ones that stick slightly outside the mainboard). I now get roughly 9 hours of real working time between charges. - I changed the screen once (because I broke mine accidentally). It was an easy operation and the replacement screen was affordable on the internet. If you have the choice, I’d recommend a matte screen (not a glossy one as it is significantly more difficult to read under bright conditions).

Cheers,
Victor