solved - Re: password refused by cups on localhost:631

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019, Brian wrote:

I wish I could have confidence in your interpretation of what you see.
The pop-up has two blank fields. Why you maintain the default user is
"root" and it needs to be changed is beyond me.

  Yes, I maintain it...
  I don't have 2 blank fields,
  but 2 fields containing "root" and the registred root password
  Anyway, I found that there were 2 running cupsd.
  After killing one, everything works fine, i.e for either root or me,
  the password is accepted.

  thanks everybody for your advices.

best regards,
--