Re: password refused by cups on localhost:631 (fwd)

On Tuesday 03 December 2019 14:23:34 Brian wrote:

> On Tue 03 Dec 2019 at 13:17:21 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Tuesday 03 December 2019 11:37:59 Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> > > On Sat, 30 Nov 2019, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > >     It has a been a while, but my recollection is that you add a
> > > normal user to the lpadmin group.  Then by authenticating as that
> > > user you can administer through the web interface.
> > >
> > >     hi Roberto,
> > >     alas, I already did that, without success.
> >
> > When it pops up the requester, did you change it from the default
> > root to your name you've added to lpadmin and your passwd?  That
> > works here.
>
> I wish I could have confidence in your interpretation of what you see.
> The pop-up has two blank fields. Why you maintain the default user is
> "root" and it needs to be changed is beyond me.

Well, since about 6.04 of the ubuntu thread, its always popped up with
the root line filled with "root", and about 15 dots that represents the
missing root pw. I just change them both to me & my pw and it sorta
works.

Explaining the "sorta" would be TL;DR and has been posted many times and
just as many times ignored. Both on this list and the cups list.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis