Re: external drive

On Monday 02 December 2019 16:02:59 Pascal Hambourg wrote:

> Le 02/12/2019 à 02:30, Gene Heskett a écrit :
> > What I did was plug the u-sd into a card reader/writer.
> >
> > The card wasn't recognized and dd refused to write to it.
>
> What do you mean *precisely* by "wasn't recognized" ?

Ack dmesg, it was /dev/sdf but that was all. Normally it goes on to
define /dev/sdf1.  But this one did not.  Normally you write the iso to
the whole device, /dev/sdf so I didn't think much until I tried to write
a raspbian iso to it. The iso was good, I'd written it several times
already, then edited it so it booted into a complete live system.

And dd locked up until a ctl-c was issued.

> > Then someone said I need to install exfat,
>
> Bullshit.
> dd does not care about the filesystem.
>
> > but that it took a kernel version of 5.4 to use it.
>
> Bullshit again.
> Exfat is managed in userspace (FUSE), not by the kernel.

So it sounds like I actually have a bad card. But both of my readers are
in the garage ATM and I don't trust this old dell to do it right anyway,
its memory starved and dbus/dcop or whatever its using for interprocess
com isn't working. My main machine went up in smoke & flames Friday, had
to put it out with a fire extinguisher and it will be the end of the
week to get enough stuff in to build a new one.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis