Re: external drive

On Monday 02 December 2019 06:35:33 Mark Allums wrote:

> On 12/2/19 4:57 AM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> >>
> >> I'll look for one that claims exfat support. But I'm out in the
> >> puckerbrush so if staples or wally's doesn't carry it, I'm S.O.L.
> >
> > Well, we all have ebay (with some short delivery times, but also
> > some long from the far east), Newegg, TigerDirect, and (for me, as a
> > last resort) Amazon.  (Well, plus some specialty electronic
> > component houses -- I think James is gone, but there are others.)
> >
> > With the weather today (at least in eastern Pa.), and your need to
> > stay close to your wife, paying for overnight delivery might be a
> > reasonable thing to do. (I ususally order from the far east and
> > wait, unless it is an emergency.)
> >
> > And we don't have Radio Shack or Circuit City any more -- there is a
> > Best Buy that used to carry some computer components -- not sure
> > that they still do.
>
> exfat support is not necessary in the card reader.  All readers
> support exfat if they support the size of sd/microsd card that comes
> preformatted to exfat.  You need filesystem support in your OS of
> choice.  That is all.
>
> Mark
>
> PS: Some OSes don't support very large capacity SD cards.  Win 10
> wouldn't read a 512 GB microsd card of mine.

64GB is as big as I go in u-sd's.  And I think thats as big as the pi's
go. Bigger SSD's aren't a problem though, I'm using a 240GB as workspace
on a pi4.

But all this is waiting to get a new machine built. this one is using
swap just to boot and run kmail from a TDE install.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis