Re: external drive

On Friday 29 November 2019 12:04:37 Charles Curley wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 13:25:38 +0000
>
> Łukasz Kruk <rusty2402@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have an external drive formatted to exFAT.
> >
> > I cannot access it?
>
> What do you mean when you say you can't access it? You cannot mount
> it? You cannot fsck it? It doesn't show up in fdisk or sfdisk?
>
> What exactly are you doing and what exactly is the response, and what
> did you expect?

What I did was plug the u-sd into a card reader/writer.

The card wasn't recognized and dd refused to write to it.

Then someone said I need to install exfat, but that it took a kernel
version of 5.4 to use it.

So my next question is what distro is using a kernel that new? The newest
I have is an preempt-rt I made for an rpi4 in early october.
A 4.19.71-rt24-v7l+ #1 SMP PREEMPT RT and that is actually newer that the
raspbian armhf buster 10.2.
I found I  now have 4 worthless u-sd cards, so I need an exfat that will
work with this kernel:

Linux coyote 4.9.0-11-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.9.189-3+deb9u2

Just for S&G:
gene@coyote:~$ sudo apt install exfat
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package exfat

Next suggestion that might work here and now?

OTOH it likely won't work, the mobo in my main box went up in flames
Friday about sundown and I've been till now cobbling up an elderly Dell
745 that doesn't have enough memory to run kmail and FF at the same
time. Yup, I had to unpack and use a new fire extinguisher on it. Stunk
the place up somethin terrible.  A usb breakout cable shorted right at
the mobo plug.

New stuff in ATX style ordered.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)