Re: Difference between ipp, ipps, http, https CUPS protocols?

On Tuesday 12 November 2019 11:01:39 Klaus Singvogel wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > CreateProfile failed:
> > > org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:profile ... already
> > > exists
> >
> > Thats permissions.. But why can't the same software that wrote that
> > profile, rewrite that profile?
>
> Ask the software developer, which I'm not.
>
> > So what do I do to get admin writes, including overwriting the
> > edited ppd or whatever when there is no root pw, only sudo.
>
> ever did: sudo su
Thats not scripted in the permissions user/pw the admin menu presents.

> > So if its complaining it can't overwrite the file, when its the
> > exact same sw that wrote it three days back up the log.

And you are mixing instantly generated logs with old logs, what I'm
seeing is generated and logged when the modify printer button at the
bottom of the firefox screen is clicked.
> No, the regular rotated logfile shows the error in the logfile three
> days ago. But I think this happened more often - in older logfiles.

No argument there, with the log blossoming in no permission reports as I
try to print a linuxcnc config file I want to modify for better machine
performance. So I get curious a week ago and find I am now denied, no
permission, from a machine that worked 4 weeks back. The list now
includes the buster-10.1 install on the rpi4, and all 3 of the wheezy's
that run my machinery, and they haven't been updated of anything but
linuxcnc since wheezy support ended.  The key I feel is the install of
stretch and subsequent updates on this machine. I've had screaming good
luck building a realtime kernel for the rpi4, runs smoothly at very low
latency's and I want that to be propagated to other users, but its a
built kernel=2.5G, which someone is pulling right now.  But the instant
thats done, I'll be watching the logs and playing whackamole with the
bots until I've stopped them again.

In the meantime I need to learn how to save those rules and restart
iptables fully armed at reboot time. But the man page might as well be
in swahili.

So two things:

1: How do I save what I have applied already in a reloadable format?

2: how do I restart it at boot time fully armed with those saved rules.

> Best regars,
> 	Klaus.

It all worked, for a few days after the stretch install, say till
synaptic brought it all uptodate, then its gone to hell in a handbasket
since.

Should I reach around the FF interface with a sudo -i login shell and
delete all references to that printer in the /etc/cups directory tree
just before clicking on modify printer the last time? Will that get
around the no permissions problem? This is after all software, and it
can be fixed but probably not forever since somebodies paranoia will see
to it that fix route is blocked eventually. I'd much druther make your
way work. Currently that doesn't seem possible with the tooling
provided. But I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. Its certainly holding
up progress here.

Thank you Klaus.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)