Re: Difference between ipp, ipps, http, https CUPS protocols?

On Tue 12 Nov 2019 at 11:30:33 -0000, Dan Purgert wrote:

> I believe the newest printers offer a way to print "driverless" via IPP

"Newest" encompasses the past 5-10 years.

> as well -- that is, rather than needing a device-specific PPD, the use
> of IPP lets you just send a standardized "printing format" (PDF, PCL,
> something like that), and that "printing format" plus the options you

PDLS are PDF, Apple Raster and PWG Raster. pclm too (but that is not
PCL).

> told it via the control channel gets you a nice document.  Though, that
> might just be vaporware at the moment.

Vaporware? Are you aware of the effort put in by upstream CUPS and
cups-filters to support modern printers? Driverless printing is a
reality now and is the future.

--
Brian.