Re: intel video

D. R. Evans wrote:
> It's an Intel chipset. The installation procedure installed
> xserver-xorg-video-intel, which suggests removing that package if one's system
> is newer than 2007, and letting the X server handle everything. So I removed
> that package and rebooted, but nothing obvious changed: still a low-res login
> screen and a logged-in display limited to 1600x1200.
>
> The chip is an E3-1245, which is supposed to be able to operate at 4096x2304
> resolution.
>
> Any suggestions as to what I might need to do to improve at least the
> logged-in resolution?

I'm guessing that the EDID feedback from the monitor is being
mishandled. If it's VGA, swap to DVI or HDMI if you can.

If not, or that doesn't solve it, put the intel specific xorg server
back in; as root run

X -configure

to generate a basic xorg.conf. Put it in /etc/X11/

and specify a 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 modeline.

-dsr-