Re: UVC device.

peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> From: Dan Ritter
> > Step 3: Does lsusb show the device?
>
> peter@dalton:~$ lsusb -vs 005 | head
> Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
>
> Bus 003 Device 005: ID 1164:f533 YUAN High-Tech Development Co., Ltd
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               2.10
>   bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
>   bDeviceSubClass         0
>   bDeviceProtocol         0
>   bMaxPacketSize0        64
>
> The full output is at http://easthope.ca/lsusb.vs5.txt .  UVC not
> mentioned.

Oooch, yeah. This is not going to work in anything other than a
Windows machine with the manufacturer's driver loaded.

> > Step 4: Why do you think it's UVC compliant?
>
> Naive assumption that USB + video = UVC.

I have been bitten too many times by that sort of assumption.
Now you have, too.

> Management by committee.  I suggested the Startech USB32VGCAPRO which
> shows Mac support.
> https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/usb-3-capture-device-vga~USB32VGCAPRO
>
> Staples doesn't sell that but lists the Startech USB3HDCAP.  Someone
> decided to substitute.  (This is the public sector. Throw money until
> something works or the administration loses interest.)
>
> We should aim for an adapter claiming to support UVC and Linux.
> Two examples.
> https://inogeni.com/product/vga-to-usb-3-0
> https://www.epiphan.com/store/avio-hd/
>
> (https://inogeni.com/product/hdmi-dvi-to-usb-3 can not convert
> analogue to digital. Therefore can not be used with a passive VGA to
> DVI adapter.)
>
> USB in a disused Mac might work. For a PC with Debian buy the USB
> adapter sold or recommended by the vendor of the converter.
>
> Additional tips always welcome.

Don't send that "someone" out to buy things again. Order from a
store with a good reputation for taking returns.

I like the looks of that Inogeni, and you'd think that a public
sector org in Vancouver would like to buy from a Canadian
company. Or I think so, anyway.

-dsr-