Re: UVC device.

Apologies for the duplicate copy.

From: Dan Ritter
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 08:03:35 -0500
> Step 1: are you using a USB3 port? It says it will not work in a
> USB2 port.

Missed that.

None of the local shops in Vancouver has a USB 3 adapter card in
stock.  Amazon and etc. offer them of course.  3.0 is more numerous
than 3.1 which is > 3.2.

> Step 2: is your USB3 chipset from Etron or ASMedia? It won't
> work with those.

See following.

> Step 3: Does lsusb show the device?

peter@dalton:~$ lsusb -vs 005 | head
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing

Bus 003 Device 005: ID 1164:f533 YUAN High-Tech Development Co., Ltd
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.10
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64

The full output is at http://easthope.ca/lsusb.vs5.txt .  UVC not
mentioned.

> Step 4: Why do you think it's UVC compliant?

Naive assumption that USB + video = UVC.

> I didn't see it in
> the manual, and discussion on the web mostly seems to be about
> how mediocre the thing is when it works, always on Windows
> systems. StarTech doesn't even mention Mac OS, and I think that
> they would do that if it were at all honest for them to claim
> support.

Management by committee.  I suggested the Startech USB32VGCAPRO which
shows Mac support.
https://www.startech.com/AV/Converters/Video/usb-3-capture-device-vga~USB32VGCAPRO

Staples doesn't sell that but lists the Startech USB3HDCAP.  Someone
decided to substitute.  (This is the public sector. Throw money until
something works or the administration loses interest.)

We should aim for an adapter claiming to support UVC and Linux.
Two examples.
https://inogeni.com/product/vga-to-usb-3-0
https://www.epiphan.com/store/avio-hd/

(https://inogeni.com/product/hdmi-dvi-to-usb-3 can not convert
analogue to digital. Therefore can not be used with a passive VGA to
DVI adapter.)

USB in a disused Mac might work. For a PC with Debian buy the USB
adapter sold or recommended by the vendor of the converter.

Additional tips always welcome.

Thanks,                   ... P.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca