Re: Thought regarding NGINX and Debian

On Saturday 09 November 2019 13:44:50 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 09, 2019 at 01:20:40PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 09 November 2019 10:07:43 Andy Smith wrote:

> > > This is a really odd conclusion. Apache has a very rich syntax for
> > > authentication and authorization that makes protecting it with
> > > tcpwrappers rather pointless.
> >
> > Then, if thats the case, why has no one attempted to teach me how to
> > do all this iptables stuffs within apache2?
>
> No, it's not "iptables stuff whithin Apache". Iptables work at the
> bottom network level -- they are potentially more efficient given
> a high network load, whereas the Apache configuration works once
> the network connection is established and data is flowing: they
> are thus much more flexible, because decisions can be taken based
> on the communication's context (for example on the content of
> the User Agent).
>
> And it's not true that people haven't attempted to teach you
> that. Many have pointed out you /should/ look into Apache
> configuration (me, among many others). You weren't listening :)

I did look, but couldn't connect the dots with what I was reading.
That may be the result of a pulmonary embolism that damned near put a
~30~ on the end of my story when I was 79, and that did hurt the brain
that tested at 147 70+ years ago on the Iowa test. Now I'm 85, and know
full well its not as easy as it was to grok all this as it was 20 years
ago.  And at the moment way too sweet as I been enjoined from taking any
metformin due to a reaction from the twilight shot they used during
stent surgery on thursday, a reaction which might burn up whats left of
my kidneys.  They put in 3 stents to expand the arteries enough to allow
a new aortic valve to be installed thru the groin ports. Big 8mm stents.
My ticker is pumping at about 30% efficiency till then.  And my giddyup
got up and left till then too. My apologies.

> I take that it's difficult to keep all those network layers
> straight, so we need patience on both sides. And oh, yes, people
> are using all of that. But getting a web server configured takes
> /some/ elbow grease...
>
> Cheers
> -- tomás

Cheers, Gene Heskett