Re: fail2ban for apache2

On Saturday 09 November 2019 10:10:53 Andy Smith wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Nov 09, 2019 at 08:43:25AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I've done that with the help of a previous responder and now have
> > 99% of the pigs that ignore my robots.txt blocked. semrush is
> > extremely determined and has switched to a 4th address I've not seen
> > before, but is no longer DDOSing my site.
>
> You've repeatedly been advised to block these bots in Apache by
> their UserAgent. Have you tried that yet? It would be a lot simpler
> than fail2ban or trying to keep up with their IP addresses.

Maybe, but semrush has a variation in the user agent spelling that makes
a block of xx.xx.xx.xx/24 more effective.  I am now adding rules to
block the whole /24 for some of the more obnoxious. bytespider in fact
needs a /16, they've apparently 2 whole /24 blocks full of bots.

> Regards,
> Andy

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)