Re: KDE madness again

On Sunday 03 November 2019 06:07:18 deloptes wrote:

> Reco wrote:
> >>
> >> tried several times without success - perhaps because qt4 was
> >> installed before.
> >
> > QT4 has no future, and will be probably removed in bullseye.
>
> true, so I removed everything KDE/Qt4 and KDE/Qt5 then installed the
> KDE/Qt5 again - interestingly both qt4/5 is in the same package.
>
> $ ls -al /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qtchooser/
> total 132
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   4096 Nov  3 09:44 .
> drwxr-xr-x 101 root root 126976 Nov  3 09:44 ..
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root     50 May  3  2019
> 4.conf -> ../../../share/qtchooser/qt4-x86_64-linux-gnu.conf
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root     50 May  3  2019
> 5.conf -> ../../../share/qtchooser/qt5-x86_64-linux-gnu.conf
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root     50 May  3  2019
> qt4.conf -> ../../../share/qtchooser/qt4-x86_64-linux-gnu.conf
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root     50 May  3  2019
> qt5.conf -> ../../../share/qtchooser/qt5-x86_64-linux-gnu.conf
>
> And the crap is broken
>
> $ dpkg -S /usr/share/qtchooser/qt4-x86_64-linux-gnu.conf
> qtchooser: /usr/share/qtchooser/qt4-x86_64-linux-gnu.conf

> >> you should try starting qdbusviewer not from the full path. Does it
> >> work? $ /usr/bin/qdbusviewer
> >> qdbusviewer: could not find a Qt installation of ''
> >
> > No. And that's a bug in qtchooser. Some variation of #928315,
> > probably.
> >
> > I don't use QT programs that much, so I won't comment on whichever
> > is broken there. Presumably it's some user configuration file which
> > should point at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5.
> >
> > Personally I see no problem at creating a suitable shell alias.
>
> No customizations at this level - cause later you forget and wonder
> again why something does not work. MY solution was great customization
> :) use independent and recent Qt5.12
>
> >> A simple proof that after 11 years since they (KDE) promised things
> >> will work - it is still the same BS.
> >
> > I lost faith in KDE back in "KDE4.0 != KDE4" days.
>
> yes same - ridiculous and 11y later it is still crap. I tend to think
> this is a big problem for Free Open Source Software. In the profit
> driven market, you source inefficiency and stupidity out. But in FOSS
> there is no way to control ideology and SystemD/KDE expolit the
> freedom.
>
> There is no way to bring them to consciousness. The lack of ability to
> participate in normal argumentative communication, to make conclusions
> and correct the own stand point is ridiculous.
>
> regards

+100 deloptes, but we are the choir you are preaching to.  So many of us
who liked the original kde, and have been using it since about 1.2 are
now running TDE which is a fork of kde at about the 3.5 level, with
hundreds of bugs fixed, but few new features. No changes of note  in the
eye candy. Generally, it just works.

Todays question is how do you control webcrawler bots that ignore
robot.txt, download the whole site using up your upload bandwidth, and
repeat from the top when they have accomplished an image of the site.
I've taken the view that I'll note their address from the httpd logs and
have added it in CIDR/24 format to my hosts.deny. Thats a bit of a
cylinder bored shotgun I guess as I have a potential user in Sweden
reporting a blank page right now for

http:// http://geneslinuxbox.net:6309/gene/lathe-stf/linuxcnc4rpi4

Which should show a directory list of 9 or so files, and clicking on one
of them should offer to download it. But its all for armhf on an rpi4b.
But these damned bots that ignore your robot.txt are using up all my
upload bandwidth if I let them.  Screw em, and the camel that rode in on
them.  And just now yandex has figured a way around my blocks and so has
semrush.com/bots and my upload bandwidth of around 300 kbaud is being
used up. And sucking everything in a new directory I just created Friday
to hold those downloads. Around 3.5GB total. This is as far as I'm
concerned a DDOS being done by about 5 of the webcrawlers extant,
bingbot is in the block list as is googlbot. But the logs are currently
showing a private copy of FF-60 in that directory, so perhaps the Swede
will get what he needs. I don't show any of those bots ever reading
robots.txt. Shame on them. If the swede would give me his ipv4, I'd put
him in my hosts.allow. But I guess I'd better restart apache2 and
interrupt this party so I can upload this reply. Done.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis