Re: no ethernet drivers in testing/10 netinstall image?

On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 14:34:04 -0400
Kent Dorfman <kent.dorfman766@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we have slightly different perceptions of what the scope of
> the "testing" release is.  Per my understanding of the debian.org wiki
> information, it should be a "stable" release, with more frequently
> updated packages...thus testing the newer applicaiton packages.
>
> I'd make a strong argument that removing the common drivers from
> whatever kernel is used in "testing" is more an "unstable" action.
>
> My percpetion of debian/testing was more like fedora without the
> ridiculously short release/EOL (forced upgrade) issues.

Testing is effectively a rolling release with periodic freezes, the
rest of the time it runs about two weeks behind unstable i.e. anything
that survives in unstable for two weeks without really serious bugs
showing up gets pushed to testing, except during the pre-release
bug-fixing freeze.

But at no time should a mature and extremely important device driver get
pulled from it. Something has gone wrong here.

--
Joe