Re: Got a puzzle here

On Friday 01 November 2019 14:44:07 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 01 November 2019 13:43:04 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 01, 2019 at 01:12:46PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > On Friday 01 November 2019 12:42:21 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Did that, blanket Disallow for all didn't stop them. But they are
> > > spacing out the requests now, so the average traffic is very low.
> > > I can tolerate that.
> >
> > You can block by user agent, that's more drastic.
> >
> > If I've been paying attention, you are on apache. Then this might
> > be relevant:
> >

> > https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/rewrite/access.html#blocking-of-ro
> >bo ts
>
> Unfortunately  its starts with a very fuzzy explanation of where to
> put all those examples. I suspect thats because I probably don't have
> near all of apache2 installed.
>
> > Cheers
> > -- t
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Nother question, perhaps back on thread. I have 30 or so copies of a
rotots.txt that should block the bots, but in half an hour after I've
done an apache2 restart, they are back again.

Does apache2 pay any attention to hosts.deny, and does hosts.deny honor
CIDR addresses which would allow me to block the whole /24 they are
coming from. What they are doing is, since they're using all my upload
bandwidth, qualifies as a DDOS.

And at this point I don't care if I play dirty with stuff outside of
apache2's control.

Ack the man page CIDR working is yes.  But there is no clue what log file
to look at to see if its working to control what apache2 does. That
would  be most helpfull.

And a new one just showed up, a Mac known as bytespider@bytedance.com,
and he/she got put in hosts.deny. tsk tsk.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis