Re: buster netinst timezone

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 10:41:24AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
On Fri 13 Sep 2019 at 08:35:51 (-0400), Michael Stone wrote:
I'm saying that /etc/timezone and /etc/localtime should be consistent
and valid, in which case they both do the same thing. There isn't one
that uses "the actual rules and not just the name of the timezone" and
one that doesn't.

Perhaps we'll just have to beg to differ. /etc/timezone looks very much
like a name to me.

What, exactly, do you think a program does with the information in /etc/timezone? Surprise! It calls a library which pulls up a file that contains the same information as /etc/localtime. Unless someone has managed to screw up the machine's configuration, there is no point in trying to make a functional distinction between the two files. (Which was my original point.) They are simply two ways to present exactly the same information.