Re: attempted install of buster arm64 net-install on rp4 fails instantly

On Thursday 12 September 2019 02:14:06 deloptes wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPiImages
> >> https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/
> >
> > Potential timeline?
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> My RPI4 arrived as well - need to pick up also power supply and
> cables, which arrived too. Excited to see how it performs.

My micro hdmi adapters and heat sink are still on a junk somewhere.
Considering the troubles in Hong Kong, its probably going to be late.  I
had a 5v, 5a in the spares box. I've seen activity in the led's like its
booting, but video remains invisible. I don't think the $16 adapter I
got from wallies is any good.  I took the monitor to my pi-3b and it
worked ok there.  So I wait.

Trying to build a fully preemptable kernel for raspian buster 1.1 on the
pi-3b, but the raspian forum isn't co-operating. video on buster 1.1 is
around 20x faster, and with a realtime kernel, it would run my big lathe
very well. I have the src for that kernel, but as the pi-3b is a
u-booter, no step by step howto that I have found. Debhelper isn't any
help, demanding a debian/control file, all of which is pure unobtainium
from raspian.

debian buster for arm isn't pi4 ready, no device tree for it yet. It does
use grub to boot though, and that greatly simplifies installing a new
kernel.  And I've already on site, a new hm2_rpspi.ko module that should
talk to a mesa 7i90HD card, using the same spi interface the pi-3b is
using.

Its possible raspian might beat debian to working release forthe 4.

Sitting on the proverbial park bench waiting for linux to catch up with
new hardware sure is boring though. I feel like I'm running out of time.
I go for a stress test at 9 tomorrow, Friday, and will likely be equipt
with a new aortic valve before Friday in done. :-(  And I'll likely
drive myself both ways.

Keep me posted please.

Thanks deloptes.

Cheers, Gene Heskett