Re: OT: Missing sidebar; was buster: multiple instances of konqueror?

Hello,

Étienne Mollier wrote:

> On 07/09/2019 18.00, R. Lewis wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> D. R. Evans wrote:

>>> Nope. I saw your original question, and have no solution for you, I'm
>>> afraid.
>>>
>>>   Doc
>>>

>> Thanks very much for replying.
>>
>> Robert
>>

> Hi,
>
> I managed to get something looking like a side bar (side tool
> bar might be a more appropriate naming perhaps), even with F9 to
> switch it on and off.  But I had to configure it myself to get
> it to work, and it is quite possible that is does not achieve
> the convenience of the way it worked in previous Konqueror
> versions.
>
> I worked with the "Bookmark Toolbar", but steps would be similar
> when using any other custom toolbar.  Here are the steps I
> followed:
>
> 1. I made sure the "Bookmark Toolbar" was enabled in the menu
>    showing up when right clicking over the menu bar.
>
> 2. Right click over the Bookmark Toolbar shows a menu in which I
>    made sure the "Lock Toolbar Positions" entry was unchecked.
>
> 3. Using the handle which just spawned, I dragged the Bookmark
>    Toolbar to the side, until a shadow filling the whole height
>    of the window show up.
>
> 4. To setup the F9 switch, I went to the menu:
> Settings
> -> Configure Shortcuts…
>    then searched for "bookmark", and created the "F9" shortcut
>    for the "Bookmark Toolbar".
>
> 5. And hit "OK" to validate.
>
> I fear it is kind of a very hack-ish way of bringing this option
> back to Konqueror, but hope it will open interesting
> perspectives nevertheless.  Don't hesitate to play with the
> "Text Position" and "Icon size": the bar tends to use as much
> space as it requires, without a handle to reduce its width.
>
> Kind Regards,  :)

Thank you for the reply, and the handy tips.  I never realized that the
toolbars could be repositioned.  There's always something new to learn. :-)

More searching on the web lead me to a method for creating a tree-style
sidebar.  I've posted it in my original thread "Buster: Konqueror as File
Manager", rather than to this OT thread, so that  others may find more
easily.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Robert