black screen (only mouse visible) after resume with xfce4 on kernel 5.2.0

Hi.

On two systens with fairly different hardware (a 6yr old laptop I am using now on holiday and my new home desktop), with kernel 5.2.0 (and possibly as low as 5.0.11) the following happens: boot, login X, hibernate (ok), resume (also ok), unlock xfce4, stare at mouse pointer alone on a black screen. The pointer can move, there is sound (Telegram notifications, for example), and only keycombo that works is the one to go back to console.

Additionally, I noticed that this tends to happen only after the system was suspended for quite a while, i.e. if I hibernate it and soon afterwards resume it nothing strange happens. If I let it sleep for the night, the next morning it will surely give me a black screen. When I say that hibernate and resume are OK, I mean that the text console works just fine and the system is in no way thrashing.

Very important: on the same laptop, if I reboot with an older kernel, say 5.0.2, after unlocking it I can use X just fine even after many cycles. I don't have the desktop at hand until I'm back home, but I first observed this issue around 5.0.11 (see [1])

Now the question: should I file this as a bug against the kernel package or against xfce4?

On one hand, the fact that changing kernel creates or prevents the issue seems to me a very strong indication this is a kernel bug, on the other hand I am not really able to try a different desktop environment at the moment (lack of time, lack of RAM and CPU power) and cannot completely rule out a userspace issue (some change in the kernel not properly accepted by the application)

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I've had a look at the logs and I don't see anything obviously wrong or different from one case to the other.

Thanks,
Andrea.

[1] https://github.com/M-Bab/linux-kernel-amdgpu-binaries/issues/81#issuecomment-489403571)