Re: Default date output format changed after an upgrade to buster

Am Mittwoch, 11. September 2019, 13:57:37 CEST schrieb Michael Stone:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 08:36:49AM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> >> https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg741032.html
> >
> >Many thanks for all the replies. Greg, the perfect explanation you already
> >gave here
> >
> >https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg741096.html
> >
> >(that explains why buster behaves differently).
> >
> >I think it would have been worth an entry for apt-listchanges, since it
> >might at least change the output of some local scripts (like it did here).
> apt-listchanges in what? If you run the stretch date on buster, you'll
> get the same output. The change is that the localized string changed to
> something more sensible and date uses the localized string. If a script
> is relying on the output of a program like date without specifying
> either the C locale or a date format, it's almost certainly doing
> something wrong--those strings are expected to change depending on
> things like locale settings, and are for humans to read, not programs.

Don't expect that all my scripts are perfect ... there are quick and dirty
ones;-) In a logfile a human readable output sounds not a too bad idea
though...but I understand attaching that change to date does not make sense.

Nevermind, all good for me, I hope that if others are affected by the change
they find the topic in the list archive.

Thanks again
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch