Re: Screensaver issues after distro upgrade

On 9/10/19 4:30 AM, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
> After upgrading the old laptop from Jessie to Stretch, I noticed that
> the screensaver in Mate environment does not work for me as before. For
> example, when the screen goes black after some time of inactivity, for
> returning back it is not enough just to touch the touchpad or press any
> key. Instead, pressing any key or touching the touchpad makes the screen
> just some 1% lighter than the full black (or better to say, it remains
> 99% black). However, the last working GUI does not return.

I have this same issue with the default configuration of XFCE on Buster,
where the problem was not present on Stretch.

Is light-locker installed, and do you use lightdm?  light-locker appears
to be the source of this issue.  Googling "light-locker black screen"
returns dozens of posts across many sites complaining about the same
problem.

I resolved this issue by removing light-locker and installing
xscreensaver instead.  Note that this required removing a few
metapackages, and then marking the dependent packages that I wanted to
keep as manually installed to prevent apt from removing most of my
desktop tools.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com

If you correspond with me on a regular basis, please read this document:
http://www.chrishowie.com/email-preferences/

PGP fingerprint: 2B7A B280 8B12 21CC 260A DF65 6FCE 505A CF83 38F5