Re: attempted install of buster arm64 net-install on rp4 fails instantly

On Monday 09 September 2019 13:58:03 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 01:47:30PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Tell that to pam. Even after editing sudoers, pam won't allow yoou
> > to do squawt as sudo root. BTDT.
>
> If you have a serious complaint or question, you must provide details.

Also true, but those details are close to a year old, and my chances of
remembering it ala copy/paste accuracy are slim and none, so at this
late date, I'll not inflict my typo's on you.

> Your continued pattern of just ranting "it didn't work" for EVERY
> issue you encounter makes it impossible to help you.
>
> In Debian, universal sudo access is granted to any user in the sudo
> group.  If you want to be able to use sudo to run any command as any
> user, add your user account to the sudo group.  Either by running
> "adduser $LOGNAME sudo", or by editing the file with "vigr".

I should paint that on the wall. :) I've been trying by adding me to
sudoers, but that seems to not work as expected.

> Then, log out and back in to get your new group memberships.

A detail I forgot, my bad.

> If that doesn't work in Raspbian, well, too damned bad.  This is a
> Debian mailing list.  All we know is Debian.

Touche` However, debian is in effect the broodstock for a lot of these
variations, so what works for debian has a middling high chance of
working with the *pians.

> > > For safety, you should use "vipw", "vipw -s" and "vigr" to perform
> > > those edits, but it's not actually required on Debian.
> >
> > Screwed up already, I used vipw to put me in front of pi, but now it
> > wants genes passwd, which has not been set. So I'll have to bring
> > that chip to a reader and edit it.
> >
> > Is there an order to make all this just work? But I'll have to wait
> > till realtimepi is done. Estimated another couple hours.
>
> If you duplicate the lines in both /etc/passwd AND /etc/shadow, your
> password for "gene" will be the same as the password for "pi".
> Because they both use the same salted hash in the shadow file.  You
> know, the big-ass $1$abcdefgh$crapola string that you saw when you
> edited the file? It's kinda hard to miss.

Yup, big sore thumb. But I'll have to fix it in a card reader now. When
RealtimePi has finished.

Thanks Greg.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)