Re: AMD Vega 6 on Debian 10

Ale, on 2019-09-08 :
> On Thu 05/Sep/2019 22:00:58 +0200 Étienne Mollier wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, which Ubuntu release did the job?
>

> It was Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS.
> http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/ubuntu-18.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso
>

> > It could give a clue as of required firmware or drivers levels
> > for your integrated card, or any other missing component.

Well, Ubuntu 18.04 itself was released in April 2018, prior
Debian Buster's freeze period January this year.  Ubuntu 18.04.3
however has been released in April this year, after the freeze,
but before the release of Debian 10:

	https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes/ChangeSummary/18.04.2
	https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes/ChangeSummary/18.04.3

Since Ubuntu is based on Debian Testing, it might have been
reasonable to expect Debian 10 to be sufficient for your
hardware; but reality seems to have proven otherwise.

Maybe updates regarding driver support and firmware have landed
between each minor updates?  I see a few occurrences to "amdgpu"
in each release notes.  You could have been hit by one these
little missing bits.

Stupid me, not having asked this earlier!  If you happen to
retry Debian one day, and if that still fails, then it would be
interesting to post your "dmesg" output, "Xorg.0.log" content,
and other applicable logged information.

> Given that Ubuntu is based on Debian, drawing liberally on their work is not
> only shameless, it is a savvy arrangement to avoid doing the same work twice.

Ubuntu and Debian have differing goals, although both would tend
to be an "Universal Operating System".  The first one tends to
putting GNU/Linux in anyone's hands, while the second would more
emphasize respect of the Free Software spirit, at the expense of
usability, alas, sometimes.

From what I understand, a lot of hard work is done by both
sides, benefiting to both distributions.

Kind Regards,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d