Re: attempted install of buster arm64 net-install on rp4 fails instantly

On 9/9/19 8:26 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 09 September 2019 08:58:10 Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Sep 08, 2019 at 03:04:40AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> sudo dd if=debian-10.0.0-armhf-netinst.iso bs=4096 of=/dev/sdf1
>>>
>>> /dev/sdf1 is an unmounted 64GB PNY u-sd card. Original format NTFS.
>>
> That was one of /my/ screwups, fixed to /dev/sdf later. Now rapbian does
> something but only a magician knows what as I can't get any video out of
> it.  The debian-arm net-installs still stop dead after one flash of the
> green led. Then I start finding rumors that debian-arm isn't ready for
> pi4's, no device tree, and they became a mob in a few hours.  So now I'm
> trying to get video out of raspbian, failing miserably. In the meantime
> I'm trying to put together another working stretch on my pi3 so I can
> bring my lathe back to life.
>
> I had it working before the heart attack, but have come to the conclusion
> I may have over-wrote that card.  Damned hard to put identifying marks
> on a card that physical size. They should have something like a MAC
> address imprinted so that one could keep an index list of what each card
> does.

Label them with a Sharpie -- 1, 2, 3, 4... And make notes in a
'database' (aka 'a piece of paper and a pencil').

> So I've given up on the pi4 till the heat sink cover and more of the
> micro to normal sized hdmi adapters arrive.

Amazon. Single connector on both ends. Lots of choices, IIRC. Mine does
good video with the ASUS VE228 monitor over on the table.

There was a little backAndForth between the connectors to find the
video, though, IIRC.

> Might be a couple weeks
> yet, coming from banggood.  All I have for that adapter now is some sort
> of a 3 headed contraption I paid $16 for at wallies, and I've no clue if
> it works. I've never seen video come out of it.
>
> I even took the new 22" ONN monitor to the pi3 on the lathe, makes a
> decent pix on the pi3 at just noticeably lower contrast.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Try the Buster NOOBS from the RPi website.

Painless and works good here -- eventually. I'm using a 32G Samsung SD
'card'. And a USB3 external twirling rust disk.

4 is a little persnickety, and the RPi Buster Raspian has been futzed
with. Last I heard, the Debian ARM software wasn't ready for 4 yet.

--
Glenn English