Re: Lost sound after update to 9:9.10

On Sun, 08 Sep 2019 20:42:46 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2019-09-08 18:13 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
>
>> One of my computers lost sound (both speakers and headphones) after
>> update to 9:9.10. User is in "audio" group. No sound neither for the
>> user nor for root. Hardware tested with Live Ubuntu 16.04 is alive and
>> functioning.
>>
>> Any suggestions, please?
>
> Try booting with the previous kernel, linux-image-4.9.0-9-amd64.  If
> that brings the sound back, file a bug against src:linux (preferably
> with reportbug).
>
> Cheers,
>        Sven

Hi Sven,

I've just get my sound back by installing Pavucontrol. It seems the
problem was in GNOME All Settings Sound applet. For some reason in
"Choose a device for sound output" it is listing only Digital Output (S/
PDIF) Built-in Audio device and showes only one  profile "Digital Stereo
(IEC958) Output" available, which left me without any sound.

Pavucontrol showed all aptions available. I was able to select Show
Hardware Output Devices and to select Analog Stereo Output (which BTW
then appeared in the GNOME Sound applet as well). This get my sound back.
However in the GNOME Sound applet I still have only Digital Output (S/
PDIF) Built-in Audio device listed. Thus if I by mistake click on that I
loose Analog Stereo Output option again and have to launch Pavucontrol
again to correct the problem.

I would report the problem as a bug. The problem is that I not yet fully
understand what actually happens. Should I report a bug against GNOME
Sound applet or the problem is laying anywhere else? Seems that otherwise
my card is detected and configured correctly.

Thanks.