Re: Cannot connect to HP printer

On Sat 07 Sep 2019 at 23:20:03 +0200, deloptes wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
> > Every printer that exists employs lpadmin with whatever utility is
> > used to set it up. It is basic, whether or not the device is just a
> > printer or an MFP. The hplip package is a convenient software but
> > completely unneeded for printing.
> >
> > Don't confuse printing and scanning. They are separate processes.
> > With an HP MFD I'd give you that the libsane-hpaio package is needed,
> > but the hplip package is not required.
> >
> > (Actually, with a modern MFD, libsane-hpaio might not be required).
>
> Thanks, I have no visibility. I use a HP printer with cups and separate
> Epson scanner with iscan.
>
> I know print and scan are separate things - well, it is obvious isn't it -

Not that obvious, apparently. Many users start off by describing an issue
with "My printer is working but by scanner is not". How does "My printer
is working but by mouse is not" sound?

It's just one of those things. Like thinking that hplip is required to
get an HP printer operative on Debian.

--
Brian.