openssl headers missing while installing psiphon on Debian 10

Hi,
I am trying to install  psiphon   on   Debian 10 based on instructions here
https://askubuntu.com/questions/637568/how-do-i-install-psiphon-on-ubuntu-14-04-lts-step-by-step

I did a $ git clone https://github.com/thispc/psiphon.git
then cd psiphon
Open README.md for instructions
did sudo apt-get install python-pip it went without errors  .
https://pastebin.com/X8HnAZry
this is how files look like did  a simple ls
https://pastebin.com/mFi85PBp

then ./configure came across error
configure: error: *** zlib.h missing - please install first or check
config.log ***
https://pastebin.com/ANGa0c7q
to get rid of above error I did
sudo apt-get install libz-dev
Then I did ./configure and found a new error

configure: error: *** OpenSSL headers missing
full message can be seen here
https://pastebin.com/9XFUYZkk
I then tried doing
debian@debian:~/psiphon/openssh-5.9p1$ sudo apt-get install openssl
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
openssl is already the newest version (1.1.1c-1).
openssl set to manually installed.
  ethtool libdumbnet1 libmspack0 libxmlsec1-openssl zerofree
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 76 not upgraded.

So I did sudo apt autoremove and then
debian@debian:~/psiphon/openssh-5.9p1$   ./configure

checking openssl/opensslv.h usability... no
checking openssl/opensslv.h presence... no
checking for openssl/opensslv.h... no
configure: error: *** OpenSSL headers missing - please install first
or check config.log ***

so it appears openssl is installed to latest version. So now what more
should I do so that I
don't get openssl header missing error,
while installing psiphon on Debian 10.
I read this page https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Compilation_and_Installation
and this page https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29858870/build-openssl-with-rpath
but could not understand what changes should I make on my system for
psiphon (https://github.com/thispc/psiphon.git)
to be installed.

Thanks
Tapas