Re: stretch: amd64, no dmesg when usb stuff plugged in

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Which made no diff. Whatever is supposed to be monitoring for new usb
> connections is not. So what do I look at next?

I suggest do a default installation from scratch to a disk (I know you have
some) and try again. I guess you are messing too much with your system.

AFAIK it is the udev that is responsible, so

        kernel driver -> udev -> user space

so it is either udev or the driver that is messed up. The driver of course
handles the hardware, so to be able to help we should know what is the
hardware (PC and USB stick), kernel version, udev etc.

better do it on default stretch or buster, without your endless
customizations all over the place ;-).

I have experienced similar if you plug in USB2 into USB1 port, but it was
time ago.

regards