Re: Installing XFCE 4.14 on Buster?

Quoting Jesse Sheidlower (2019-09-05 21:54:43)

> I'm running Buster, pretty much a stock install, with XFCE. I'd like
> to upgrade XFCE to 4.14 (which was released last month), which is in
> unstable, mainly to take advantage of what is said to be improved
> HiDPI support in this version--I'm about to get a pair of 4K monitors
> (yes, my video card can handle it).
>
> What is the safest, preferably automated, way to perform this? I don't
> want to switch my entire system to unstable.

There is no safe way to mix stable and testing/unstable branches of Debian.

The least unsafe way is probably to use apt pinning.

The imaginary lesser unsafe way which doesn't exist would be to use
backports.debian.org.

Reason both pinning and backports is unsafe is that neither comes with
security support.

The most sensible way (which you already ruled out) is to use testing.

 - Jonas