Re: After buster upgrade gdm login not working

By any chance, is your user account defined in a network-based
authentication database, like NIS or LDAP?

Yes, exactly so, it's defined by NIS.  The machine where gdm login is
failing is an NIS client bound to a different Debian machine (still on
Debian stretch) which acts as the NIS server.  On a related note, my
home directory is served by NFS from the same server to this client.
(I've been managing a home cluster of Linux and some other UNIXes like
this for decades.)

I assumed everything was working correctly with this since I can log
in to the client host via ssh and at the console.

--Ken