Re: AMD Vega 6 on Debian 10

On 2019-09-03 21:49 +0200, Étienne Mollier wrote:

> Alessandro Vesely, on 2019-09-03 :
>> That laptop features a radeon "Vega 6" graphic card, which
>> doesn't seem to be recognised (lspci -k reports no drivers for
>> VGA and Non-VGA entries).  I'm wandering if I should try and
>> install the packages in
>> https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-prorad-lin-18-20,
>> for Ubuntu 18.04.  Don't they do Debian?
>
> Good day,
>
> I don't see your chip in the "AMD Product Family Compatibility",
> so that's probably a dead end.  Also the "firmware-amd-graphics"
> non-free package does not advertise compatibility with it.  From
> what I understand, this is some sort of AMD integrated graphics.

Yes, it is used in the Ryzen 2300U mobile processor[1].

> It is possible that your hardware is a wee bit too recent for
> Debian 10 vanilla: Vega support for the amdgpu driver landed in
> Linux 4.20, but Debian 10 ships with kernel version 4.19.

No, the 4.20 kernel added support for the brand-new 7nm Vega20 GPUs.
Older Vega GPUs such as Alassandro's are supported in 4.19.

> Also there is a faint possibility that your chip might require a
> firmware update through the non-free package "amd64-microcode".

The graphics card actually needs firmware-amd-graphics.  The
amd64-microcode package is for the CPU, and is recommended if the
manufacturer does not provide firmware updates.

Cheers,
       Sven

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_RX_Vega_series#Mobile_APUs