AMD Vega 6 on Debian 10 (Was: Is Buster ready?)

Alessandro Vesely, on 2019-09-03 :
> That laptop features a radeon "Vega 6" graphic card, which
> doesn't seem to be recognised (lspci -k reports no drivers for
> VGA and Non-VGA entries).  I'm wandering if I should try and
> install the packages in
> https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-prorad-lin-18-20,
> for Ubuntu 18.04.  Don't they do Debian?

Good day,

I don't see your chip in the "AMD Product Family Compatibility",
so that's probably a dead end.  Also the "firmware-amd-graphics"
non-free package does not advertise compatibility with it.  From
what I understand, this is some sort of AMD integrated graphics.

It is possible that your hardware is a wee bit too recent for
Debian 10 vanilla: Vega support for the amdgpu driver landed in
Linux 4.20, but Debian 10 ships with kernel version 4.19.

You will have more chances with Linux 5.2 from buster-backports.
Also there is a faint possibility that your chip might require a
firmware update through the non-free package "amd64-microcode".

Kind Regards,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d