Re: Is Buster ready?

On Mon, Sep 02, 2019 at 03:28:33PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 22:50:41 +0200
> Alessandro Vesely <vesely@tana.it> wrote:
> > I've been trying to install 10.0 via netinst. <SNIP> but it also has
> > some funny behavior, like not adding /sbin to the PATH after a
> > successful su command.
>
> How are you calling su? If you just call su with no options, it simply
> changes the user, and nothing else, leaving you in the environment of
> the previous user.
>
> To get the environment of the new user, run 'su - [user]'.
>
> As usual, 'man su' for the gory details.

This is a change in buster.  It's documented on the Debian wiki at
<https://wiki.debian.org/NewInBuster#Changes> where you can see several
different options for working around the change.

Personally, I find that none of the workarounds is perfect, but the one
that involves putting ALWAYS_SET_PATH yes in /etc/login.defs is the
least terrible.  Your opinion may differ.