OS paternalism - was {Re: nano copy/paste dead}

On 09/02/2019 05:50 AM, Gene Heskett wrote in part:
But no, someone has decreed that ssh isn't to be started until someone
has gone to that machines own keyboard and logged in now. Then they
decided ssh wasn't allowed to use x facilities as root.

So if I'm working on a machine out in the shed on the hill, writing
g-code to make an armstrong bolt out of a piece of 1" square bar stock,
I have to get dressed including shoes for snow in the winter, climb the
hill and log back in on that machines own keyboard before I can access
that machine over an ssh connection from a warm and comfortable office
chair here in the house. I'd like to make the person who thought that
was a good idea, do that a few dozen times.

I abandoned Microsoft for Linux because the thought they new more about how I worked than I did. Debian gives me the best mix of standardization and customizability.

I think Debian need a SOHO option of some sort. Would/could it meet the restrictions of being a "Pure Blend"? I don't know.

Debian's security features would be reasonable in a large corporate setting. I have another issue. The installer attempts to do the *IMPOSSIBLE*, "be all things to all people all of the time".

I am minimalist oriented. I can have pretty much the desktop I prefer by installing a typical command line system and disabling the recommends option of the apt family while choosing mate-desktop-environment-core and a few apps *I* consider essential. The mere mention of it was not well received at all.