Re: nano copy/paste dead

On Monday 02 September 2019 03:10:08 Felix Miata wrote:

> Gene Heskett composed on 2019-09-02 02:55 (UTC-0400):
> > That half a screen height jump is a huge distraction.
>
> It would if it happened here, but what half a screen jump? An up or
> down arrow is three lines here, would be one, like it used to be, if I
> could find a way to undo the intentional regression.

The scroll jump has always been ten or more lines here, very distracting
when the terminal is fill screen and 10 point type. Takes my eyes a good
half second to find the cursor again.  There are much better editors,
like geany, but x won't let geany run as root over an ssh connection.
Thats BS.

Since wheezy, the security paranoia knows no limits and does not care how
inconvenient they make it for the user.  I am the ONLY user here, get
this #@$%&^ crap out of my way!!! I used to be able to reboot a remote
machine and could continue working via ssh 30 seconds later even if it
took a root session to proceed.

But no, someone has decreed that ssh isn't to be started until someone
has gone to that machines own keyboard and logged in now. Then they
decided ssh wasn't allowed to use x facilities as root.

So if I'm working on a machine out in the shed on the hill, writing
g-code to make an armstrong bolt out of a piece of 1" square bar stock,
I have to get dressed including shoes for snow in the winter, climb the
hill and log back in on that machines own keyboard before I can access
that machine over an ssh connection from a warm and comfortable office
chair here in the house. I'd like to make the person who thought that
was a good idea, do that a few dozen times.

Sorry Felix, something pulled my trigger.

Take care now.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis