Re: x and virtual consoles

On 2019-08-06, Ed <ed-debian@s5h.net> wrote:
> On 2019-08-06 09:02+0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>> On Lu, 05 aug 19, 21:56:55, Ed wrote:
>> >
>> > How do you run two login managers though so that you can have two users
>> > share the same computer without having to log out? In other words,
>> > whilst I go and make dinner I want to allow someone else to sit here,
>> > without having to shut applications down?
>>
>> Some login managers have the "switch user" feature.
>
> Does that feature take the user back to the login screen without leaving
> the applications running?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LightDM

 LightDM's dm-tool command can be used to allow multiple users to be logged in
 on separate ttys. The following will send a signal requesting that the current
 session be locked and then will initiate a switch to LightDM's greeter,
 allowing a new user to log in to the system.

$ dm-tool switch-to-greeter

Looks promising.

--
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan