Trying to add new video card

Hi, Folks -

My amd64 stable ('buster') system has this on the motherboard:

AMD Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics]

In the "Psychedelic colors" thread we added this to the kernal commandline:

radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1

...which, in the long run, may not have been necessary, but it's still there.

I plugged in an nvidia GeForce 210 card and essentially lost most
functional video, resulting in either "no signal" or a message that meant
"I can see a signal but somewhere/somehow, it's not supported", sent by
the display, depending on which card I connected to the display via either
VGA or DVI cable.

What am I missing?  What do I need to do in order to make use of the
nvidia GeForce card?